CCOAIB is an organization incorporated under Rwandan law with legal personality published in the Ministerial Decree n°103/11 of 9th July, 2004 and it was created in 1987 by 12 local NGOs.
CCOAIB membership has increased and actually counts 40 local NGOs. Those member organizations operate across the whole country and are involved in various development domains like work agriculture and animal husbandry, beekeeping, food processing, shelter, handcrafts, livestock credit, the women empowerment, rural water supply, water and sanitation, youth empowerment, coaching orphans, cooperatives development, micro-finance, rural citizen participation, basic technology, etc.
CCOAIB vision: Socioeconomic self-reliant citizens who fully participate in their own development.
CCOAIB mission is to strengthen its intervention capacity for promoting sustainable development of the population.
To achieve its vision and mission, CCOAIB has set five overall objectives:
- Encourage and promote exchanges, cooperation and solidarity with other organizations pursuing similar goals;
- Accomplish the mandate of representation and advocacy for its member organizations;
- Contribute to the promotion and empowerment of civil society;
- Create mechanisms for economic, social and political changes’ monitoring for equitable development;
- Support members to generate development initiatives in their respective areas of intervention;
- Build its institutional capacity;
- Extend the membership that have added value to CCOAIB mission.
CCOAIB adheres and upholds the values: Independence, Commitment, Solidarity, Transparency and Integrity.
To achieve its objectives, CCOAIB operates through the following organs:
- The General Assembly (GA) that comprises two delegates from each member organization;
- The Board of Directors composed by seven members including the President, the first and second Vice Presidents and other four members elected by the GA;
- The audit committee made up by three persons including the President and two members elected the GA;
- The Organ of Conflict Resolution composed by five persons including the President, Vice President, Secretary and two members elected by the General Assembly ;
- The Executive Secretariat composed by staffs recruited on competition, which is the implementation organ.
In addition, three permanent thematic committees are set up by the GA namely:
- The economic analysis commission
- The ethics and partnership commission;
- The socio – political and cultural analysis commission.
REQUIREMENT FOR NEW MEMBERSHIP
May accede to CCOAIB any local NGO:
- Accepting the rules and adhering to the code of conduct;
- Having majority of decision making organs’ members who are Rwandan by nationality;
- Supporting and promoting community development;
- Justifying an experience of at least two years in the support and promotion of development activities.
- Having a legal personality registered in the official gazette.
To achieve its objectives, CCOAIB has set the four following strategic pillars:
- Lobbying and advocacy
The Umbrella has the responsibility to defend the interests of member organizations in their specific programs.
The Umbrella promotes exchanges, mutual learning and a synergy to build a strong network for sustainable development through joint programs.
- Capacity Building
CCOAIB is engaged in dynamism to improve and enhance member organizations’ achievements through an institutional support. This is done trough different ways such as technical advises, trainings, study tours, seminars, etc.
- Information and Documentation is cross-cutting pillar
To communicate with its member organizations and partners, the Umbrella uses accessible communication technologies for sharing information and improving skills. In addition to its documentation center, the umbrella has different communication tools namely Gana Heza newsletter, Interactions newspaper, radio magazine and documentary films.